Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Portion sizes

Allow me to rant for a moment about a combination of things: vending machines, portion sizes, and "single serving" packages that are not.

Just now, I wanted breakfast. Unfortunately, the cafeteria stops serving at 10. It's 10:07, and by the time I walk there, it'd be 10:15. They really aren't forgiving. So I figured I'd check the vending machine for something instead. We usually have Poptarts in there, and sometimes other stuff. Today, the poptarts were blueberry (ew), but there were some Knotts Berry Farm Strawberry Shortbread cookies. YUM. So I swipe my card (love working at a college just for that...use the credit card to add money to my account, then swipe my ID at the vending machine...and we get a discount for that!) and get said cookies. The package isn't very big...and was only .80, which is the same as a candy bar. I think it's a single serving. I pull it out...nope. It's THREE servings. 12 cookies that are each about an inch in diameter. Really? Now, I know portion sizes have gotten out of control, but I'll be the first to say that 4 one inch cookies is just not enough. Especially as a breakfast substitute. 120 calories, 5 grams of fat and no fiber in each serving. 360, 15 and still none for the package. Ok...actually, that's not bad for a meal. But who in their right mind would eat 1/3 of a package you buy at a vending machine? And why can't you see this BEFORE you buy a package?

I wonder if the truth in labeling laws (or whatever they are called) cover vending machines? Because I should not have to buy the item to look at the nutritional information. And not have any recourse if I should change my mind after seeing it. Granted, there are a few things I know aren't too horribly bad...pretzels are fat free (no idea how many servings these are, though), gummy bears are fat free (but those are also in a 3 serving bag), and when I'm in desperate need of chocolate, a 3 Musketeers is the best option. But the fact that I can't pick them up and compare...or even see the info inside the machine...just isn't fair.

And they wonder why we are all fat. Fast Food places have to have their little pamphlets out. Why shouldn't vending machines?

No comments: