Monday, November 9, 2009

I feel helpless.

I get to work this morning, and am checking my emails. I have one from one of my friends. I open it and my heart sinks.

She needs info on breast cancer because her best friend was just diagnosed.

She came to me because she knew I was doing the 3 Day. I hope I gave her enough. We live in different states, so what is available here may or may not be where she is, so my first thought was for her to call her local Komen office. They can give her the best and closest resources. I hope that I didn't make her feel like I was blowing her off. This was very much NOT my intention. I just wanted to let her get the fastest and most reliable information possible with the fewest steps between A and B...and me chit-chatting and giving all kinds of links that may or may not be appropriate wasn't going to help her get what she needed at the time.

But also, when I opened that email, I realized that THIS is why I walk. I have been very lucky. I did have a "scare" of sorts, but it was 6 months after a breast reduction, so while we acted quickly anyway, everyone (me, the doctors, the surgeon, family) were all fairly certain it was just scar tissue creating a lump. I had the lump removed, and it was in fact, scar tissue. There were still a few scary times in there, though. The "what-ifs" crept in.

Based on the age of my friend, I'm assuming her friend is also close to my age. It's scary to think that this could happen to someone in their 30's. It used to be you heard about it mostly in older women. When I was at the Pink Out events, there was a woman there...27. She was diagnosed and treated while pregnant. I can't fathom. Breast cancer is hitting younger and younger.

I will do everything I can so no one has to send an email like my friend did this morning. 60 miles is nothing compared to what these women and men (yes, men can get breast cancer) go through.

1 comment:

Beanie said...

I ♥ you, Lillian Winfrey.

Thank you for posting this, and no, I didn't think you were blowing me off.

You sent me to the one site on the whole entire internet that had all of the answers I needed.

Thank you, again.