Monday, February 22, 2010

I need a swift kick in the ass

Really, I do. I've got so much going on, and yet nothing is really happening with any of it. So if you kick me, can you at least pick a direction for me to go in?

First: The Oz fundraiser has to be postponed. And moved. There was a fire in the building it shares, and since that building was around 100 years old, and no sprinklers...well, they aren't sure it can be fixed. It's a really sad time in Fairburn. Oz does have another location in East Point, which isn't too far away, but I'm going to wait until probably May so the weather is warmer for a scooter ride up there. If we have to go farther, might as well make the journey more fun!

We just got home from Disney, also! We had a great time (as usual) and met up with some of DH's friends who were also there on vacation. I wore my pedometer 2 of the 3 days we spent in the parks. We did almost 8 miles our 2nd day (Epcot) and 6 miles the 3rd day (no parks...just Downtown Disney and a tour of Animal Kingdom Lodge and their timeshare resort). The first day, when I didn't wear it, DH and I hit Animal Kingdom right when it opened. We rode Expedition Everest, then went over to Dino Land and did a few rides there, and then rode Everest again before hitting the road to Magic Kingdom where we met up with the other group...and spent most of the day there. We ended the day heading back to Epcot for dinner in France! If I had to guess, I would say we hit at least 8 miles...and I would probably say 10. When we go to Epcot, we valet the car at Boardwalk, then go in the International Gateway entrance, which is a half mile each way by itself.

Which reminds me: Here is your Disney Tip of the Trip! If you are staying off property and have a car, you actually have a few options. You could 1) Park at Downtown Disney for free, then take the internal buses to one of the resorts, then to the parks. If you pick the right resort and park combination, you could switch to the monorail instead of a bus. But this takes a fair amount of time waiting on buses. Option 2) Since parking at the park itself is $14, and you still have to walk or shuttle from BFE, we prefer to valet. As I said, for Epcot, it's at Boardwalk. You can also get to Hollywood Studios via walking path or boat from Epcot...we didn't make it there this trip, though. At Magic Kingdom, we valet at the Contemporary, then take the monorail over. And valet is $12, plus we usually tip another $2...plus, once you pay at one location, you can then use the others for free on the same day. As DVC members and annual passholders, parking in the park is actually free for us, but we MUCH prefer the convenience of someone else remembering where we parked after a long day.

So anyway...after all that walking, I had one small blister on the inside edge of my heel on the first day. Had this been an actual training walk, I would have taken the time to stop and put some moleskin on it, but I didn't want to hold everyone else up. Instead, I switched to my FitFlops for day 2 to give it some time, then the 3rd day I was back in my 3 Day sneakers and it was fine. Not bad for an unofficial start to my training! Oh...and I used my "tummy pack" as I call it about half the time (the other half, I call it a butt bag, even though I wear it front ways). I'm sure a few of the group that was with us were horrified that I was wearing it, but I wanted to try it out, and they were nice enough not to comment. :o) I figured out that I can loop my fleece over the straps and it's pretty secure...but when I did fleece AND long sleeved tee (the weather was a little funky...I layered), it got a little bulky and heavy. I'm also thinking the 16oz bottles MAY be a little small, but that could just be because DH was using one and I was using the other...and we didn't refill as often as we should have. I think at a minimum, I'd like to get a straw top for at least ONE bottle to make life easier. The pack did start to weigh on my lower back, and got a bit on the warm side, but not as bad as when I had the backpack water thing...plus my water stayed colder. Overall, I'm much happier with this choice, even if I look stupid anywhere other than with other 3 Day walkers. :o)

Right before we left, I got the EA Active game for the Wii. I tried it out just to see and was DYING the next day! I could barely walk my legs hurt so much! But pushing through while we were there was a good thing, and last night I started one of the features of the game: a 30 Day Challenge! I'm going to do this first one on low intensity, and plan to do the whole challenge 3 times: low, medium and high intensity. I'm feeling MUCH better today than I was when I first did it...no soreness at all, really. I'm *almost* tempted to skip the low intensity and just go to medium. Almost. But not quite. I'm gonna give it a few more days before I get really ambitious.

Finally, the Insider Pages fundraiser just has 3 more days left! It's FREE to sign up! All you have to do is review places you go. When you click on "Write a Review" and it takes you to the page with the text box, right above the main review box it will tell you how much that particular review will be worth. With a lot of help, I'm sitting at $101.00 right now! My goal was $100, so I'm really happy with it...but even a few extra dollars will help out...so head over there and write a few sentences about your doctors, your favorite hole-in-the-wall bar or restaurant, and your mechanic and tax prep service!

That's all she wrote, folks. Get over there and do some of your own writing!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Sounds like you had a great time at Disney! Jealous! I also have the EA Sports Active, and it is pretty wonderful! I have done several 30 day challenges. I have been thinking about doing Insider Pages too, and am so glad you had success with it! Way to go! :-)