Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Kicking it into high-gear!

Lots of updates, and some pats on the back coming.

First, I have officially set myself up as a team for the 3 Day. It will be open for others to join, but since I had ordered a banner (picture coming soon) with "Scooting Toward a Cure," I figured that would make a good team name...so I called and added it.

Next, we have our first confirmed fundraiser set up. You might ask who "we" is...it's not the royal we. DH is being incredibly supportive this time around. I think he wants to help me raise as much as possible so I don't have to ask his boss for donations. But whatever his reason, I'll take it. He is helping with the advertising, and is still great about fixing dinner on the nights I go to the gym. *first pat on the back of this post goes to DH* Anyway: we will be at Oz Pizza in Fairburn, GA on Tuesday, November 17, 2009. If you show up anytime between 4pm and 10pm, and mention the breast cancer fundraiser when you place your dine in order (sorry...that's their rules--no takeout), 20% of the cost of your order will be donated. I need at least 20 orders placed to get credit...but I'm hoping for a lot more! We've already spoken to our weekly Bike Night dinner group leader and asked if that week can be there...he said no problem, just send a reminder about a week before and he will send it out. We are also going to send it to our scooter ride group, and I have it listed on the Facebook Fan page...and I'm about to work up a flyer that I'm hoping to leave at different places...which leads me to our next update...

I just typed up a letter to the manager at my local Kroger where I ask for either a) a donation directly from Kroger or b) to be allowed to set up a table to collect donations and hand out flyers...which will be the aforementioned flyers about the Oz fundraiser. I asked for one of 3 dates: Nov. 1, 6 or 8. The 1st and 8th are Sundays, the 6th is a Friday that I have half a day (see? Furloughs do serve SOME purpose!). I sent a similar email to World Gym in Peachtree City, where I do my training, on Friday, but didn't ask for specific dates on that one. For these events, I got my fabulous (and even better because it's pretty high quality and was only $8) banner that says "Scooting Toward a Cure in the Breast Cancer 3 Day" and I should be receiving the silicone rings that I ordered as inexpensive "Thank you for your donation" gifts. At $0.42 each, a $1 donation covers those, with profit...and I think people are more likely to donate if they are getting something...even something small.

I have also discovered that Chili's also does fundraising events similar to the one I'm doing at Oz...so I will probably have one there sometime early next year. And I'm going to check with a Bike Night favorite, Taco Mac, and see if they will do one as well. I mean, hey, we are going out anyway...might as well have some of it go to a cause, right?

We still have the housewarming/Tastefully Simple/fundraiser planned as well, but I haven't heard from my consultant lately, so I need to check on the details there. What she and I had discussed was that for all orders placed, she would donate 50% of her commission, which works out to around 15% of total orders. Unfortunately, she will be out of town the night I had picked, but since I used to be a consultant and had worked with her a bit before, we talked about a "Party To-Go," which basically means she gives me the Party Food Kit, I make it and serve it at the party, and take orders, but there is no presentation to go with it. It's like a catalog party but with yumminess. I was hoping to get the e-vites out this week with a link online for those that can't make it but still want to order. I may have to resort to my own e-vites, though.

So that's what? 2 fully booked fund raisers, 2 in the works, and another 2 ideas in addition to my yard sale idea which I'm tentatively scheduling for May (get those closets cleaned out! I'll be asking for "stuff" donations for that one!). Not too bad! I'm hoping to get at least $100 from each event...and $200+ would be AWESOMENESS! So help me out and spread the word. The more people that show up, the better!

Now, for the pats on the back. I've already given one to DH. He really has been amazing lately. The rest, in true Lill form, are self-centered. But hey, this is all about me, right?

In no particular order:

-I have stayed on WW for 55 days. I'm struggling big time this week, having used 23 of my 35 flex points with 4 more days to get through...but I WILL make it.

-Yesterday, I walked for 24 minutes and ran for 6 at 4.5 mph. I didn't even feel like dying when I finished. I think I have finally figured out the best timing for myself. Of course, it'll change again the week after next...but for 2 weeks, I have it nailed.

-We got the dining room painted. Sort of. Actually, we got the first coat done, but ran out of paint before a 2nd coat could be applied...and it's VERY necessary. So it's half done, I guess. But it still looks good, and it's progress.

-I have been on time for work 2 days in a row. Miracle.

One not-so-proud thing: I skipped the gym on Saturday. I already had to get up early to load the truck for the Pink Out, and when we left at 3, I was SO cold I could barely move, and hadn't eaten all day, so I went home and took a blazing hot shower and had Chef Boy-ar-dee and hot apple cider for lunch...which still didn't warm me up. So I snuggled under the covers with the furbabies and watched tv. Yes, I feel somewhat bad, but the fact that I accomplished yesterday's run after skipping Saturday's tells me I'm in SLIGHTLY better shape than I thought anyway, so there is no reason to beat myself up over missing 1 day when I felt like total crap. Besides, next week is my "rest" week, where I don't increase my time, just maintain...so I have plenty of time at 24/6 to adapt before 22/8 comes beating at my door. For the record...22/8 is the first time I'm nervous about. Not sure why. I think I need to work out the times on my little post it note and it will be less intimidating.

No comments: