Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Me? A RUNNER? Don't make me laugh!

I've started going to the gym and actually using my membership that I've had for 2 years and have used about 5 times...one of which was to take my nieces to the pool when they came to visit. But with the 3 Day looming a year away, and me being pitifully out of shape (wait...round is a shape. I'm in shape. Just not a shape to accomplish my goals), I figured I needed to start sooner rather than later. But the 3 Day training program is 24 weeks long...I have more than double that. So, I was thinking about what I could possibly do with the other 24+ weeks, and then it hit me.

Couch to 5K.

For those that don't know, this is a running program that takes you from never having run in your life (except, perhaps, after the ice cream truck when it starts to pull away...not that I know anything about that) to being able to run a 5K. There are 2 programs: the original, and the fat-girl extremely slow build up conservative program.

Both programs have merit in my case. The original gets me there fast and will force me to push myself right from Day 1. It's a 9 week program that starts with running intervals from the very beginning. A benefit is that there is a podcast, complete with music, that goes with this program, and tells you when to walk and when to run, so you don't spend your whole workout looking at your watch. The downside...it's only 9 weeks, and I'm really trying to fill more time than that...and seriously, I don't run now. At ALL.

If I do the conservative program, it starts off much slower. In fact, I could probably skip the first, oh, 3 weeks? That would have me starting with 20 minutes of walking 4 days a week. Considering I was trying to get 45 minutes to an hour 3 days a week (granted, I've only done 2 days so far...), 20 minutes would work. And I might even have some time left to do the weights I wanted to do. I've got that double wave thing going and want to nip it in the bud before it gets really bad. Plus, the whole program is 28 weeks...which has me ending 2 weeks before I need to be starting the 3 Day training...PERFECT. The downside? No podcast. So I need to make my own. Not torture...but a minor hassle.

I think I'm going to be the lazy runner and do the conservative program. It will still challenge me, since I detest running, but the first week of running is 28 minutes of walking, 2 of running...and it can be split any way you want to do it (so 7 walking, 30 seconds running, 7 walking, 30 seconds running...).

I've also worked out most of a schedule with the DH...who I think still has doubts I'm going to follow through with the whole gym-going thing. And who can blame him? It's not like I've shown a tendency to be a gym addict. But we worked out a deal where on Mondays, when he gets off work right at 6 (most of the time), he will go home and cook while I go to the gym. We are also working out whether he can do the same on Wednesday or Thursday...and I'm going to go before my Starbucks on Saturdays. I *may* also use an hour or so on my weeks this month that I get off early on Fridays to do some extra. Last night was the first with this schedule...I got home just after 7. He had dinner ready (some really YUMMY chili and Parmesan cheddar biscuits) when I got home, and didn't complain (much) when I wanted to eat before showering. Seemed to work out pretty well. We'll see how the rest of the week goes.

Also, I finally had a loss this week after 2 weeks of holding steady. Not a huge one, but 2 pounds, bringing my total to 10. I'm thrilled with that...but...a little disheartened for some reason. And I don't know why. 10 pounds in a month is just about a perfect pace. And it means I *could* be near goal when we go to FL next. And with adding in the gym, I will theoretically be toning up, too...which is really more important than the number on the scale. I'm still trying to focus on actions and not results, though. It's hard, but I'm trying. Control what I can. That's my motto. And so far, it's working. Guess I need some workout rewards set up.

And no...working out is not it's own reward.

No comments: